Sunday, September 15, 2013

The things we do for bait!

After  a good day on Saturday, I decided to give it another go on Sunday 15th. The bite had been early in the morning, so we needed to get bait as soon as possible. At 6am, Derek and I launched “ABF” and headed to the pipeline to catch bait. I was hoping it would be as easy as it was the previous day but this proved not to be the case. Every drop resulted in a full string of Maasbankers. This continued for over an hour, until we got 1 small shad. I headed back to the harbour to look for bait there as the guys had been getting a few shad while at anchor.
On arrival, I called up a friend who was fishing nearby. They were busy fighting their 4th Garrick for the morning and it was only 7:30! I managed to barter a few shad from them and headed to the point of the pier. I quickly rigged up 3 baits before taking up my trolling approach. We had just settled when the far bait was eaten. I fed the fish then tightened up. I passed the rod to Derek and cleared the other lines. This was Derek’s first Garrick and it gave him a good run for his money. After the typical fight near the boat, I managed to get a gaff into the fish... what a start to the day!
Unfortunately, this was where the action stopped. It was as if someone had flicked a switch and the fish shut down. We fished through the day and only had 2 small hammerheads eat the baits. At 1pm, the NE wind had picked up and we returned to the club. The Garrick weighed in at 8,2kg.

No comments:

Post a Comment