Saturday, March 1, 2014

No use flogging a dead horse...

On Saturday 1st March, my Dad and I launched “ABF” off Richards Bay. We stopped the pipeline and filled the livewell with nice size maasbankers before heading to the ledge.
 
I put out 2 deep lines and 2 surface lines then tacked over the reef. There were no showings for quite some time, but as I worked north, there was a bit of a mark on the bottom. I was about to say that we should get a pull here when the deep bait went away. My Dad took the rod and after a nice tussle, had a 10kg cuda in the hatch. Not a bad start. I rerigged and made a turn over the same area. The showing had gone so I trolled further north. The water conditions were good, but there was very little life. No birds, no bonnies, no flying fish, no showings, nothing… Despite checking the baits and changing up a few things, we were not getting pulls and from what the other guys were saying, they were also battling.
 
The SW wind had picked up and we were in for a bumpy ride home. We decided to turn around and troll back over the ledge on the way home. As we finished the turn, the deep bait went away again. I was standing at the rod, so I took the strike and quickly had a 7kg cuda on ice. We trolled for another half hour and decided that it was no use flogging a dead horse, so we upped lines and ran back. Hopefully next weekend will see a nice big cuda in the hatch...

No comments:

Post a Comment