Saturday, November 3, 2018

Running on empty

On Saturday 3rd November, Tjaard and I went up to Cape Vidal for the day. There had been reports of a lot of dorado around, so we made sure we were there as early as we could. When we drove onto the beach, we saw that the launching conditions were terrible. Probably the worst I had ever seen at Vidal. Several crews were waiting to launch and only after an hour or so did the conditions improve to the point where we could get close to the water.
Eventually at about 7:30 we were on the backline and started looking for bait. There were large shoals everywhere, but they were proving a bit difficult to catch. After some time, we had a few baits to start fishing with. We headed south and at the beacon we came across a nice current line in 25m. I put out 3 livies and worked the area. It did not take long before I spotted a dorado swimming behind the boat. I brought the close bait in a bit and from nowhere another fish charged in and grabbed it. I hooked up and passed the rod to Tjaard before bringing another bait. This bait was also quickly eaten, and I hooked up. The first one was at the boat, so I put the rod I was holding in the holder and gaffed the fish. Tjaard then finished the fight with fish number two. Not a bad start.
I rerigged and made a shallower turn. There were a few dolphins around and soon they started eating out precious livies. After having 2 baits stolen, I suggested we move away from the area to preserve our limited bait stocks. We ran about a kilometre south and set the lines. Just as we had the last line out, the far bait went tight with another dorado. While Tjaard was fighting this one, I hooked another fish close the boat. They were not the biggest fish which meant they came in quickly and we could reset the lines. I was about to make a turn to head shallower when the far line went away. When I tightened up, the line went down deep, a sure indication that it was a tuna. This hard fighting fish gave Tjaard a good run around before I could gaff and bleed it. Seared tuna steaks … check!
There were definitely a few fish in the one small area, so I doubled back on my tracks and sure enough we hooked up to yet another dorado. This one was very small, but
Making every bait count
the hooks were in the gills and it was bleeding profusely so we kept it. After this last strike, I rigged our last livie. We were now running on empty with the bait level, so I headed shallower to hopefully find a shoal of bait.
While moving shallower, the wind changed to SE and it was like someone threw a switch. For about 2 hours, none of the boats had any action. This gave me some time to prospect the shallows. In about 15m, I saw a bit of a showing. As I dropped the jigs, the close livie went away and we hooked up to another dorado. Tjaard took the rod while I tried to get some live bait. The showing was getting better and better. On each drop, I caught a mix of mackerel and maasbanker and soon had enough bait to last a week. At the same time, Tjaard had the dorado at the boat where I gaffed it.

The tide was turning in an hour’s time. I didn’t want to beach on the high tide, so I suggested we head out to the deeper water for the last 2 hours before we head back. On the tide change, there were a few sailfish hooked and I was hoping that we would also get a chance at one. Just before the ledge, a movement caught my eye. As I turned, I saw a sailfish free jumping next to the boat. At one stage I thought it was going to end up in the boat. Unfortunately, despite making a few turns in the area, we did not get a pull. At 2pm we upped lines and headed back to the beach with 6 dorado and a yellowfin.

No comments:

Post a Comment