Saturday, November 7, 2020

Is there time for one more?!

At 6:30 on Saturday 7th November 2020, Andre, Terence and I launched “Marakas” off Vidal. There was a 15 knot SW blowing, a few clouds around and a good N-S current… pretty much perfect conditions. The launch was a nonevent and soon we were on the live bait marks. There was a great showing, but nothing was eating. We scrounged around and eventually managed to get about 20 livies.

The current was pushing us south, into the wind, so I suggested we put out lines right from where we were. I headed out deeper and the lines were just when the far line went away, followed by the other surface line. I ran to the back and saw a big bull dorrie on the flasher. At the same time, it saw the close bait and absolutely crushed it! Terence and I kept our fish at a distance while Andre fought what turned out to be the biggest fish of the day. A good 12kg dorrie. Terence was next up and managed a big 10kg cow dorrie. Now it was my turn, the only problem was that my fish was on 3kg tackle. Eventually, one miss gaff and 15 minutes later, I had a nice 8kg dorrie in the boat. What a great start!

It took a while to rerig and bait up, but we were back in the game. I trolled shallower and just as we came into the same depth, another 3 rods went away with dorado. I turned the boat with the wind so that I could leave the controls then cleared the dead rod. As the bait came close to the flasher, another dorrie came flying in and grabbed it. 4 fish on! You just gotta love dorado fishing!!!


Some beautiful Dorado at Vidal
While the chaos reigned, the flasher stayed in the water and soon we were surrounded by dorado. I couldn’t help myself so put my rod down, pinned a livie and cast it out. Several fish went for it at the same time with the maasie jumping out the water to get away… real Nat Geo stuff. I went tight on a fish then passed the rod to Andre who already had a rod in hand. Before I grabbed another pitch rod, we loaded 3 of the 5 dorries. With 2 fish still on, there was place to pitch another few livies. On, on, on… back to 5 fish! It was insane. Eventually, when the dust had settled, the boat looked like a war zone. The live bait well was empty, burnt off lines fluttered in the wind, carpets were super slippery and tackle boxes were in a shamble. We took a moment to regroup and get to grips with what had just happened… It was one of those experiences that you never forget… and it was only 9:30am!

We slowly headed back to the live bait marks where we picked up a few more baits. While this was going on, I rerigged my 3kg setup which had not survived the onslaught. By 10:30 we were back on the troll but things were dead quiet. The wind had dropped and very little action was being reported. I suggested we head back to the beach and start the cleaning process, but I was interrupted by a pull on the 3kg. I hooked up and fought what turned out to be a 7kg yellowfin tuna.

That was our last fish and we happily returned to the beach. The staff at Cape Vidal were treated to a few fresh fish to thank them for their efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment